There are four categories of Membership with the Royal Canadian Legion:
You may be eligible for Ordinary membership if you have served or are serving in:
- The Canadian Armed Forces or Her Majesty’s Armed Forces (regular force or reserve force with class “C” service); or
- the Armed Forces or underground forces of any of Her Majesty’s allies in a war or police action in which Canada was involved; or
- the Merchant Navy or non-military services in an actual theatre of war in which Canada was involved; or
- Her Majesty’s reserve force including Cadet Instructors on the Cadet Cadre. Must have at least one year (12 months) service; or
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police or The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary for not less than one year; or
- the Armed Forces of a country while that country was a member of NATO or NORAD; or
- the United States Forces; or
- the Vietnam War with the Armed Forces of the United States, Australia, the Republic of Korea or South Vietnam, and were a Canadian citizen or Commonwealth subject at the time of service
If you do not qualify for Ordinary membership you may be eligible for Associate membership if you:
- are the child, stepchild, grandchild, sibling, niece/nephew, widow/er, parent or spouse of someone who is or was eligible for Ordinary membership; or
- are the child of an Associate member; or
- have served in The Royal Canadian Sea, Army or Air Cadets for not less than 3 years; or
- have been a cadet civilian instructor for not less than 3 years; or
- have served as an officer in the Navy League of Canada for not less than 2 years; or
- have served on a city, municipal or provincial police force for not less than 1 year; or
- have served in the Polish Armed Forces after WW II; or
- are the spouse, parent or sibling of an associate member who qualified subject to the above criteria.
To qualify for Affiliate Voting Membership you must be a Canadian or Commonwealth Citizen and over the age of 18.
To qualify for Affiliate Non-Voting Membership you must be a citizen of an Allied Nation and over the age of 18.